Saturday, March 18, 2017

Jump Racing At Its Best - The Cheltenham Festival!

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening / Night wherever you are in your day, I hope you are smiling a big cheesy grin!

It's Saturday and you could be forgiven if you woke up with a heavy head hung over. It was the last day of Cheltenham yesterday and it was also St. Patrick's Day so you had every excuse to drink a little more than you should. As to why they decided to make the beer green, don't ask me. I like my beer looking like beer and if it was some sort of coloring , it was definitely yucky. Instead I went for cocktails it looked more appetizing! Cheltenham sprung a few surprises. My three favorite horses sadly lost. Vroom Vroom Mag seemed invincible but couldn't live up to everyone's expectations. Another favorite of mine, Neon Wolf, who I was in no doubt would pull off an easy win, was disappointing. The commentator was all praise for Neon Wolf in the run up, ''the wolf will devour the field.'' ''Wolves eat their prey alive, so it's going to be special,'' but that was that and the wolf became a lamb to the slaughter! And as my father always said things happen in threes, I didn't put any money on my third favorite horse, absolutely positive it wouldn't win and it didn't. Death Duty a short price favorite all day but was so far back in the field I don't know what happened. The official result said it unseated its rider. Sure looks better , than coming 10th!
The Gold Cup (the highlight of the last day, Friday), was won by a beautiful black horse which was magnificently huge called Sizing John. A suitable name indeed! It gave the trainer, a woman, Jessica Harrington, her first gold cup winner. A beautiful performance and very well deserved. Although why the Gold Cup is not a huge majestic trophy, I don't know. It was swallowed up in Robbie Power's hands , and looked tiny. The champion hurdle trophy on the other hand is so large and heavy -- it's truly impressive!
The festival ended with Gordon Elliott being top trainer and Ruby Walsh bagging the most wins which I always knew would happen. The Irish came out better than the English. Was it 10 to 6, not sure, but thrilled for them. They are often the hardest working people and Ireland is of course home of horse racing!



Seems like this blog has turned out to be all about Cheltenham when I intended a whole other topic but as I love horse racing so much I couldn't put a lid on my enthusiasm. Hope you enjoyed reading this and you are having an awesome day. Keep smiling and remember nothing in life is free except the grace of God!

Love & Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment