Friday, December 21, 2018

Salt Meat For Christmas ..My Recipe !

Happy Friday !

It's almost Christmas and the weekend is knocking on the door,  most of us at the weekend think about preparing, something really special for the family ( if you love to cook ! ) I have lovely memories of salt meat ( cooked with a large chunk of beef ) which was a staple around Christmas time amongst the people who lived in my town , where I grew up . My grandma made this delicious dish , but this recipe is not hers , she never got around to telling me how it was done  . I learned to make it over time , checking the net and this is how I now prepare my own . I love it so much .  I don't generally wait for Christmas to prepare it for my children . It takes a while to make , needs to be soaked in brine . But lasts for sometime ,in the refrigerator . Great to be sliced and put in sandwiches . I am crazy about salt meat , it is super delicious and with Christmas around the corner , I know a lot of people want to prepare some special side dishes, for all your lovely relatives who just turn up on your doorstep to share the holiday spirit with you . I hope you enjoy making this and have tons of pleasure eating it !! Enjoy , the recipe is below :)

For the brine 
275 g  soft light-brown sugar
350 g  coarse sea salt
2 tsp black peppercorns
½ tbsp juniper berries
4 cloves
4 bay leaves
4 sprigs of thyme
55 g  saltpetre (optional)
For the beef 
2.5 kg  piece of beef brisket
1 large carrot, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 celery stick, roughly chopped (optional)
1 leek, cut into large chunks
1 bouquet garni
½ head of garlic
Put all the ingredients for the brine into a very large saucepan, pour in 2.5 litres  of water and gradually bring to the boil, stirring to help the sugar and salt dissolve. Once it comes to the boil, let it bubble away for two minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool completely.
Pierce the meat all over with a skewer. Put it in a large, sterilised plastic box or bucket (something non-reactive) and cover the meat with the brine; it must be totally immersed. The best thing I've found for weighing it down is two massive bottles of vodka. Put them in on top of the meat and it will stay below the level of the brine. Leave in a very cool place ( a room that is always freezing cold – most houses have one). Leave it for seven days.
Take the beef out of the brine and rinse it. Roll and tie the meat and put it in a pan with the vegetables, bouquet garni and garlic, adding enough cold water to cover. Bring the water to simmering point, then leave to poach gently – I mean gently – for two and a half to three hours. Cook until the meat is completely tender (check with a skewer).
Serve in slices with pickles, horseradish sauce , English mustard or piccalilli. You can serve it hot (reheat it in the broth in which it has cooked) or cold. It will keep for a week in the refrigerator; wrap it well so it stays moist.

Have an awesome day and keep smiling :)

Love & Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment