Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Enjoy the Summer, With My 5 Great Book Choices!

Happy Wednesday!

With the Olympics in full swing, I'm so glued to watching every sport shown on telly. I sometimes can't find the time for anything else! I know I was not too happy with the Rio games, what with it being held in such a poor country, crime so rife in the streets and this lavish put on games with so much pomp and ceremony seems unbalanced for the poor of the country! Not to forget the Zika virus causing so much damage to unborn children of pregnant woman. I am though a big sports buff and I'm watching it cheering on team GB all the way! I love the GB official Olympic attire. I wonder if it was designed by Sir Paul McCartney's daughter. I still think she's where she is , because of her dad. Victoria Beckham on the other hand , made her own name. Her kids don't impress me though. Instead of being at school, they are all over the show enjoying life with their parents, living a grown-up lifestyle . What a wasted life, not being kids, learning and making their own friendships (but it is only my opinion!) Maybe they should be sent to some posh boarding school and study, lol. So studying, reading and absorbing new stuff is important for our brain and our whole being (the way we perceive the world and general judgement!) I am a big fan of reading, whatever I can get my hands on ;)

So I have found the five best summer reads to recommend for you. I enjoyed reading each book and would love to share my enthusiasm.

5. The Rules of Love & Grammar,  by Mary Simses
It's about writer Grace who retreats to her childhood home at 33. After losing her job, boyfriend, and apartment, she's feeling like a loser and is drawn to her old high school sweetheart. But also to bike shop proprietor Mitch, who helps her deal with issues from the past. This book will make you laugh and cry. A good read.

4. Leaving Lucy Pear, by Anna Solomon
This novel has tons of atmosphere. From the foggy New England location, to the 1920s culture, to the gender politics. You will get lost in this story which truly feels new and fresh.

3. Watching Edie, by Camilla Way
This book will draw comparisons to Gone Girl and The Girl in the Train. Instead this time the girls are facing off against each other instead of the evil man. It just wouldn't be summer without a thriller to keep you hooked.

2. Grace, by Natashia Deón.
In 1840s American South, 15 year old Naomi escapes from her master's plantation in Alabama. But life on the run can be just as dangerous as life in captivity. She takes refuge in a brothel and begins a love affair with a white man. Which leads to a daughter. It's a beautiful read, multi-generational about strong women in one of the darkest eras of American history!

1. One True Loves,  by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
It's about a woman, Emma, who thinks it's finally time to move on years after her husband Jesse went missing in a helicopter expedition over the Pacific, thinking Jesse is dead. She reconnects with Sam, an old friend, and before she knows it they are in love and engaged. But then Jesse is found alive and she finds herself with a husband and fiance and very unsure of who to choose and run to. A very good story and written by a truly genius writer.

Enjoy my selections! Have an awesome day and keep smiling!

Love & Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment